Intensive care unit
Our SSMI (Swiss Society of Intensive Care Medicine) certified Intensive Care Unit treats patients suffering from serious medical or surgical problems, and whose lives are potentially threatened by failure of one or more vital organs.
The mission of this unit is to ensure treatment of patients suffering from serious medical and surgical problems, and whose life is potentially threatened by the failure of one or more vital organs, while offering them recognised and effective therapies.
Certified by the Swiss Society of Intensive Care Medicine (SSMI) since 2016, the Clinic’s six-bed unit is open 24/24, 365 days a year.
The multi-disciplinary team, under the responsibility of Dr Carlotta Bagna, is composed of:
- 5 intensivists (critical care specialists) and anaesthetists
- 7 anaesthetists, providing an in-hospital resuscitation team 24h/24
- Consultants specialising in the main medical and surgical specialities offered by the Clinic
- 9 Expert nurses in intensive care (post graduate studies by the colleges of advanced education) recognised by the SERI (State Secretariat for Education Research and Innovation)
- 7 general nurses
- 1 dietician
- 1 physiotherapist
- 1 secretary
The unit welcomes patients, with or without complementary insurance, requiring intensive care, including the following:
- Patients requiring post-elective surgery, complex or emergency care (bariatric, thoracic complex digestive surgery; cranial neurosurgery; major spinal surgery; robotic ENT surgery using the da Vinci system;…)
- Patients with complex co-morbidities requiring care following post-elective or emergency surgery.
- Medical patients with acute cardiology, pneumology, infectious, oncology, nephrology, or gastro-enterology issues,…
The unit is located in specially equipped premises with a range of state-of-the-art equipment required to treat serious cases:
- Invasive and non-invasive mechanical ventilation
- Renal dialysis
- Continuous invasive haemodynamic monitoring
- Haemodynamic support and multiple infusions
- Electrical cardioversion
- Emergency internal and external cardiac pacing
- Transthoracic and transoesophageal echocardiography
- Mobile radiology and portable ultrasound
- Cardiac catheterisation lab
Application for admission 24/24 on 021 641 37 74 or 021 641 37 66.
The unit accepts patients already hospitalised at the Clinic, as well as external patients(with or without supplementary insurance) on the basis of a telephone call referred by doctors’ surgeries, La Source, Vidy and Epalinges Medical Centres, as well as intensive care units at the CHUV or other hospital establishments in the event of capacity overload.
Families or significant others seeking news of patients admitted to the unit are welcome to contact the unit at any time by calling 021 641 31 86.
Agreement signed with the CHUV
In July 2017, the Clinique de La Source signed a partnership agreement with the CHUV. The objective is to reinforce the existing collaboration between the emergency and intensive care units in both institutions. Depending on medical needs or in the event of overload, patients can thus be transferred from the CHUV to La Source or the contrary.
Deputy Head Nurse
Head Nurse of the Intensive Care and Interventional Cardiology
Dr Francesca Carlotta BAGNA
Specialist in Intensive medicine and Anaesthesiology